Hundred Chart Carpet

Things I learned at CAMT today:

1. Duct tape now comes in patterns.
2. There are now dry erase crayons.

Who’d have thunk it?

My favorite session of the day was presented by a retired Canadian Kindergarten teacher who is now a carpet mogul. Seriously.  Her product is The Learning Carpet.  She told the story of how she created a 100-square gridded floor mat by carefully positioning masking tape on a drop cloth for use in her classroom.  She used the mat for 100 chart activities, patterning, and many other activities (incredibly creative woman!).  She presented a workshop featuring her homemade gridded mat and, of course, many of the attendees wanted one of their own.  She attempted to make and fill orders and sell them, but she quickly realized she couldn’t meet the demand.   She found a manufacturer to make a gridded carpet, and her company has now sold over 26,000 of them!  Pretty cool success story.

Of course at $299 a pop, we might be on our hands and knees over the next couple of weeks making our own!  Using the fancy, printed duct tape.  Many of the activities could also be done on a pocket 100-chart, if you have one, but I think it’s a totally different experience for the kiddos to be able to walk on the carpet.  Even if I don’t buy her carpet, I might have to ask for her book for Christmas.

Sorry the pictures are from a side perspective; that’s just where I happened to be sitting.  The captions under each picture briefly describe the activity shown.

The numbers on the cards are red on one side and black on the other.  Here she’s showing a pattern with the black side.

It’s a little hard to see, but the white circles are dimes.  So this  is representing  73 cents.  Remember, you’re looking at it from the side.  So the number 1 would be in the lower left-hand corner, with the first dime at the end of that row.

She switched from the numbers to colored squares for patterns.  Three of us placed our cards and the the group chanted, clapped the pattern, etc.  Then, we counted the pattern, saying the numbers that would be under each card on the 100 chart.  So, starting from the lower right corner, which was 1 (I’m participating in the activity now AND taking pictures), you’d count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 79, 78, 77, etc.  Understand?  Great activity!

She also has letter cards.  The capital letters are red and the lower case letters are black.  For this activity, she had small numbers in the lower corner of each letter card.  She handed them out, and when people correctly place their cards, it spelled out a phrase.

This was showing how it could be used for language arts activities.

As she said, more food for thought!

Here’s another commercial version that is 4′ by 4′ and a little more affordable!

Learning Resources Hip Hoppin Hundred Mat (LER1100)

Do you know the measurements for the rug? I want to make one. Also can you buy just the activity cards?

I think it’s 6 ft square. I believe she said each smal square was 6 1/2 inches. Yes, you can buy the cards, resource book, and other accessories on the website. Use the link in the post above.

Really? Small world. Yes, she was awesome.

2. Carol

I am heading to Walmart today for a shower curtain or drop cloth. I HAVE to make this! Too bad I don’t have an extra 300 dollars laying around! Another thought… we had a US map painted outside on our playground a few years ago. I wonder if I could convince PTA to have a 100 grid painted?
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

Yes! I thought of painting one, too.

3. Katie P.

I am at CAMT too!!! We were at her presentation too! I loved that part when you made the pattern (TURN!) and then counted the pattern out! That was a great idea. We’re already thinking of how to make our own grids! We have a painted hundred chart outside at our school but it already has the numbers, so now we want to paint a blank one!! 🙂

Yes, the pattern activity got pretty intense! TURN! Yikes! I think we only messed up a couple of time. Keep us posted about what you decide on to make yours.

4. Katie P.

I also really liked when we learned the diagonal trick that made the numbers add up to the same sum!!

Super cool!

5. Pattie

Wow, you have made me so excited to get back to school to teach math. I teach first so we’ll have to learn some basics first but after that, let the fun begin. Thank you so much for sharing with us who couldn’t go to the conference. I’m going to put her book on my wish list.
    Pattie

Aw, Pattie, thanks! I’m getting pretty pumped, too!

6. Pattie

Oh, I forgot I had a question….sorry. What do you do with the dry erase crayons? Do you use them like the markers? What is their purpose?
    Pattie

You use them for anything you would use a dry erase marker for, but apparently they erase easier. So if you have student white boards or you laminate recording sheets to use in work stations, you’d use the crayons for those.

7. Soupy Teach

Link appears to be broken. Have they changed their address for the carpet and other things?

Thanks for letting me know! I think they just have a somewhat unstable website. This same thing happened when I first wrote the post. I couldn’t get to their website most of the day, but then it finally came back up. When I do a Google search on The Learning Carpet, it’s still the same website. Keep trying! 🙂

8. Three Chicks & One Egg

My daughter’s Kindergarten & Grade 1 classes (she is now in Grade 3) had this and it was very helpful. We are now homeschooling and I would like to make one to have at home. I like the idea of using the coloured tape!

Right, it’s definitely a doable DIY project!

I love the idea of the learning carpet. I have something I can use for it already, but I have 3 questions about the other products used with it.

1. What coins were used with the carpet?
    2. How many of each coin?
    3. Would it be worth purchasing the resource book if you only teach first grade?

First Grade Teacher
    Thank you!

Sorry it took so long for me to respond! All of the materials you see were materials she used for the workshop presentation. The coins might come out of the Resource Manual she sells, but the website isn’t clear on that. It’s definitely pricey, but if you can work it in your budget I’d say 1st grade would be an ideal grade level to use it.

10. J O'Leary

Hi there,
    I am trying to purchase these carpets for my classroom but the Learning Mat website seems to be down. Are they still available for purchase?
    Thank you!

May have just been a glitch. It is working now.

Your email address will not be published.