Guided Math Resources

Laney Sammons opened a lot of teachers’ eyes to a new way to approach math instruction with her break-though book Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction. Did you know that Shell Education has a free book study guide guide for that book!  Grab some of your math buddies and make it a party.

While I love the Guided Math book and the framework it lays out, I always wished it had more of the nuts and bolts for actually setting up and running a math workshop.  My wait is over!  Check out this great resource from Laney Sammons and the folks at Shell Education.  Mine is on the way, and I can’t wait to share it with my teachers and all of you!

1. Andrea McEvoy

I implemented Guided Math last year! I was successful with the structure but struggled to create effective pre-assements. I can’t wait to see the types you would create! Also, Laney just came out with a focus book on her Daily Math Stretches! I just picked mine up. I really liked using them. I want to get better at a Math huddle too! Keep it coming Donna!

Andrea
    One Teacher’s Take

We have done Tickets In for quick pre-assessment. I’ll put them on my “things to blog about” list. Yes, I have both her K-2 and 3-5 Math Stretch books. They’re great!

2. Storie

I’m so excited that you found this resource. I look forward to hearing all about it!
    Storie
    Stories by Storie

I’ll make exploring it a priority when it arrives so I can blog about it!

3. O FISH ally a First Grader (Corinna)

I can’t wait to hear what you think about Strategies for Implementing Guided Math. I read Guided Math a few years ago, and absolutely fell in love with the idea. It made since, and it seemed so simple. I do Guided Reading, right? Why can’t I do Guided Math? However, I have to admit when it came down to putting it into practice, I fumbled.

I agree! I wanted something to move me from theory to practice. I’m very much looking forward to checking it out.

4. Susan DeAcutis

I am going to implement Guided Math in my classroom this year and I am anxious to hear about this piece of the puzzle. Please review this after you get it.

Will do!

I’m very much looking forward to its arrival!

I would love to hear your thoughts on actually making Guided Math work in lower elementary classrooms. It theory it always sounds so great, and I get so excited about it…but then it gets a lot harder making it actually work in a 1st grade classroom(we use Everyday Math)! Would love to hear your thoughts on when to teach all the new stations, and how you recommend “grouping” students!

You are so right that it’s a juggling act! That’s why I love Debbie Diller’s book on math workshop. She devotes a couple of chapters to how to implement math workshop, and it takes an entire 6-weeks! Check out this post for more ideas.

6. Rochelle

My district is using this book and study guide in a PLC for all 3-5 math teachers. Hoping to use it as a tool in establishing a framework for math instruction in our schools. Would love to hear from you about other books that could assist us as well. I’ve already picked up Sherry Parrish’s Number Talks and I love it!

Number Talks is excellent, Rochelle! I also like Debbie Diller’s Math Workstation book. It’s geared toward K-2, but I love her chapters on organization and implementing workstations.