Place Value 'I Can' Cards and Choice Board - Math Coach's Corner

Place Value ‘I Can’ Cards and Choice Board

Last week I blogged about reading large numbers.  I was talking to one of my 5th grade teachers today about the start of the year and that conversation, along with last week’s post fresh in my mind, got me thinking about activities for place value.  I came up with this little activity that can be used in a variety of ways!  The file consists of place value charts, 3-digit number cards, a Think-Tac-Toe menu, and a set of I Can cards for workstations.  The structure of the PV mat and number cards emphasizes that concept I wrote about last week–that the largest number you ever have to read is a 3-digit number.

Here are some suggestions for using the materials:

Students can put the 3-digit cards in order.
Students use the place value mats and cards to build 3-, 6-, or 12-digit numbers and read them aloud.
A pair of students can use two mats, build numbers, and compare them.
Use the  “I Can” cards in a workstation.  Three versions of each card are included–one for 6-digit numbers, one for  8-digit number, and one for 12-digit numbers.
Some of the same activities from the I Can cards are included in a tiered choice board.  One way to use the board is to have each student do either a row or a diagonal.  Notice that using rows and diagonals, the activities are differentiated.  Put your strugglers in the middle row.

Ready to go?  Grab your freebie at my TpT store.  If you like it, I hope you’ll give me a favorable rating and follow my store to receive updates of new products.

You might also like these place value activities:

Three-digit place value activities and games
I Have/Who Has to the hundred thousands

Love your blog!

2. Ms. Young in 2nd

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. Ms. Young in 2nd

This comment has been removed by the author.

thanks for sharing..

My pleasure!

5. MrsArnold

This is going to be VERY popular in my classroom. Thank you so much!

You’re so welcome!!

6. Jennifer Smith-Sloane

I just wanted to share with you that I used this game in class today to review place value with my 8th Grade Resource Math class as a workstation and will use it again tomorrow with my 7th Grade Resource Math class. I’ve posted pictures on my blog as well as linked back to this post.

OMGosh, Jennifer, that is so cool. I need the link!!

7. KRISTA

Thanks so much! This is fabulous! I am a new follower of your store and your blog. Have a great week!

I hope you can stop by sometime.

Krista
    stellar-students

Hey Krista! Thanks for leaving some love. I just popped over to your place, and I love your blog. Really like the post about interactive math journals!

This is such a great activity! I teach 3rd grade, and I notice every year that my students do not have a strong number sense…. they know what 5×5 is, but they don’t know WHY! So frustrating! I’m definitely using this activity throughout the year to keep place value on the front burner!

Perfect! They need that strong foundation in place value. The 4th grade teachers will love you!!

9. Mrs. Burger

Thanks for the freebie. I am doing place value next week. Just started following your blog. Check my blog out if your 5th grade teachers need some online game links for math standards. Thanks~!

Your blog is very well organized! Lots of great links. I’m a follower now. 🙂

I just returned to teaching fourth grade after being in second. I can’t wait to do these activities with my kids! Thanks so much! Great freebie!

Oh, that will be a fun transition! Good luck with the new school year.

11. Dora Alvarez-Roa

Thank you so much- place value is such a hard concept to teach and this freebie is great!!!

You’re welcome, Dora! Yes, place value can be tricky. I hope this helps!

Thanks, Molly! The tic tac toe is a fun way to differentiate!

12. Tina Walker

Love this!!! Thanks for sharing it!

You’re welcome, Tina!

13. Christina-tina-tina

Love this! I can’t wait to use it with my 4th graders.

Great, Christina! I’m sure they’ll love it.

14. Beverley Baird

Thanks once again for a very useful item!

You are so welcome, Beverly!