Computation Dice Games - Math Coach's Corner

Computation Dice Games

I was in a teacher’s room last week, and her kiddos were making equations to equal the number of the day, which was 44.  I noticed that all the kids were using just two numbers in their equations (40 + 4, 50 – 6, etc.).  I decided to try a little “evil” math on them, so I asked if anyone could make an equation with three numbers to equal 44.  Crickets chirping.  Okay, so they needed a little more support.  I asked them if I added 20 + 20, what would I still have to do to get to 44. That did it!  Hands went up, and we wrote the equation 20 + 20 + 4 on the chart. They, of course, followed with more. We even got into some multiplication and division!  Very cool.

This experience made me realize that we need to get our kiddos to think outside the box on a regular basis. Throw them a curve ball, so to speak.  With that on my mind, I created these easy little math games for combining 3 numbers, using multiple operations, to make a target number.

There are two versions: one that uses just addition and subtraction to make 11 and another that uses addition, subtraction, and multiplication to make 21.  Because there’s a strategy component, you’re also sharpening their problem solving skills!  Click on the links to grab your freebies.  🙂

1. Katie

Hi! I can’t get the third link to work:

“If you are looking for more low-prep, high-engagement activities, check out this blog post to see more great games for multiplication.”

Any suggestions to get to the additional blog post?

Thank you!

Huh, I’m not sure why the link was broken, but I’ve fixed it now! Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

• Janet

Worked for me, thanks!

2. Mama Suzi

Thank you so much for all your great ideas! I love your blog!

3. Patti kmetz

Thank you for these computation dice games. I am a 4th grade teacher and I am going to use a workshop model to teach math this year. These computation games will work great at the beginning of the year to help me manage math workshop. One station will be a game station.

Love all your ideas! And freebies!!! Thank you so much!
    2nd Grade Teacher

You’re very welcome. 🙂

5. Amanda

Thank you so much for these! My kiddos love these dice games. I love how they let them practice their basic skills in a new way!

Anytime you can make practice a game, it’s a win-win situation! 🙂

6. Melissa

These are great! Thank you for the Christmas gift. 🙂

You’re welcome, Melissa! 🙂

7. Fontenot's Firebreathers

Sounds good. Even older kids can do this! I will see if my 4th graders are up on this one! they tend to live in the box 🙂 They hate when I flip the box over!!

Ha ha…flip the box over. Love it!

8. Su Anna

Oh…I love these games. I’m sure my students will too. Thanks 🙂

Thanks, Su Anna! I love that they’re so easy and require virtually no teacher prep.

9. Tammy

I like the way you stretch your mathematicians. Thank you for sharing.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

That’s ALWAYS my goal!! 🙂

10. Beverley Baird

Great games as usual! Thanks so much!

Thanks, Beverley! Who doesn’t like games, right? 🙂

11. Sarah

We’ve been practicing computation and I totally agree that the kiddos need to think outside the box! Love the idea 🙂 Thanks!

Sarah
    The Fabulous First Grade

Thanks, Sarah! I hope the kiddos like the game. 🙂

12. Cindy Calenti

These are great games. I am going to give them to my daughter to play with her children. 🙂

Cindy