fbpx

Practicing +10 and -10

Ever wonder why we practice the patterns of +1/-1 and +10/-10 using a hundred chart? Well, we’re adding and subtracting tens and ones, so it actually supports place value understanding. We add ten to the numbers when we move down one row because it’s the same as moving forward ten spaces. Ten ones equal a ten.

This post contains affiliate links, which simply means that when you use my link and purchase a product, I receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you, and I only link to books and products that I personally use and recommend.

Here’s an easy little game for practicing +10 and -10 called Row, Row by Ten. The game comes from a wonderful book that was recommended to me, Common Core Math in Action (K-2), by Catherine Jones Kuhns and Marrie Lasater. It’s easy to make and the kids love playing it. Basically, each player starts on the top row of the 120 chart. It really doesn’t matter what number they start on because they are just moving up and down in the column, so starting on 8 has no advantage over starting on 2. On a player’s turn, they spin the spinner. If they spin a +10, they move to the number that is 10 more. Be sure that students verbalize their move, “Ten more than 8 is 18.” If they spin a -10–you guessed it–they move to the number that is 10 less. If they spin the -10 on their first tun, they just stay on their start space. The winner is the first player to reach the bottom of the chart.

Package it all up in a gallon plastic bag (trim a little off the 120 chart for it to fit) for easy storage. Grab your freebie here. Enjoy!

1. Michelle Hall and Gail Marin

As usual, your games are just what I needed. Thanks, Donna!

You’re most welcome!

2. Sara Franza

Donna, you are so wonderful to share with them and us!!!! Thank you!!!!

Anything for you, Sara! BTW, you still owe me chicken and dumplings. 🙂

• Sara Franza

They are made fresh every Tuesday! Waiting for you to come back and check up on your “sister school!” 🙂

3. Joie

This game looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

My pleasure, Joie!

4. Erin

Awesome! I just taught my second graders how they can move +10 and -10 on the 120 chart yesterday. This is perfect timing and a wonderful reinforcer!! 🙂 I will have to check out that book. Thanks, as always.

Great timing, Erin!

5. Stacey Sawyer

Perfect for our Family Night!

Funny, Stacey, I was thinking that same thing! So little prep involved.

Simple and effective. A great combination!

The Math Maniac

Absolutely, Tara!

7. Audrey

This was EXACTLY what I had in mind for math stations next week. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m glad I stumbled upon this. 🙂

How perfect is that? Glad it worked out so well, Audrey! 🙂

8. Katania

Thank you for this great game! I can’t wait to use it in the classroom.

Hope the kiddos love it, Katania!

9. Tammy

I’m looking forward to trying this out later in the year with my first graders. Thank you!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

My pleasure, Tammy! 🙂

10. Jan

Thanks for sharing another great idea! I look forward to using it with my Firsties later this year.

Perfect! I’m sure the 2nd grade teachers will love that your kiddos come up understanding this important skill.

11. Miss VerSteeg

Hi Donna!
    I’m a bit behind, so I’m spending the afternoon catching up on the hundreds of blog posts in my blog roll! I’m so glad to see you found a great activity to share from this text! I was really hoping you’d find it as useful as I do!

Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge, ideas, and creativity with all of us! You are amazing!

Cathy VerSteeg
    [email protected]

A fabulous game my year 1 kiddies will love! Thank you 🙂

Thank you. This will be a helpful resource for my low achievers.

You’re welcome!