Place Value Workstation

My dearest 5th-grade teachers needed a workstation activity to provide a spiraling review of place value concepts, so this is what we came up with. I made versions for 6-, 9-, and 12-digit numbers.

Notice that the kiddos need to place zeros in their numbers before filling in the other digits, because that’s what they struggle with, right? It’s probably a stretch calling it a “game”, but they get to roll number cubes, and in my book that automatically elevates it to game status. 🙂

If you’re looking for a great strategy to help kiddos read large numbers, check out this blog post.

I hope this is something you can use! Click here to grab your freebie.

Thank you! My 4th grade students have struggled with this concept!

You’re welcome!

2. S. Hansel

Thank you. The six digit will be great review for my 3rd graders.

Right! That’s exactly why I made the three versions. 🙂

3. Lori @ Life in Room 24

Love this! Thanks. It will be in one of my math centers this week.

So glad to hear it, Lori!

4. Tchur8

This is perfect for our math enrichment time. I’ve shared with my partners as well.
    As usual…you have the best ideas and materials.
    Thank you!

You’re welcome! Glad it’s something you can use. 🙂

5. Mary Abel

I teach 3rd grade and will definitely be using this! They need a bunch more practice on expanded form and this way they can feel like it’s more of an activity than worksheet.

Right! What 3rd grader doesn’t need place value practice, Mary? Ha ha.

Thank you! My students definitely need practice with more zeros in the numbers!

Yep, the zeros are what throws them off. 🙂

7. Vanessa Bridgewater

Thank you so much for this wonderful and helpful resource!

My pleasure, Vanessa!

8. Blair Turner

Love this! I’ve turned my entire school into Math Coach’s Corner enthusiasts – thanks for sharing so many great ideas. I totally giggled at your definition of game status – sounds quite similar to mine. I learned my first year teaching that my sweet students were so easily persuaded to do ALL kinds of math practice as soon as I called it a game. Even a standardized test – it’s a game! You vs the test writers….1 right answer, 3 tricks – get a point if you figure it out! It’s all in the packaging. 😀

Blair
    One Lesson at a Time

Your comment cracks me up, Blair! I’m so glad that my work is useful to you. I think it’s about time I use more of your clip art in something!

9. Sara Franza

Thanks for the freebie, Donna! 🙂

Always my pleasure, Sara! 🙂

10. Leigh

Love this!!! My 3rd graders LOVE to figure out bigger numbers! Thank you so much!

You’re so right, Leigh! Our 3rd graders only need to read up through the hundred thousands, according to our standards. But once they understand the patterns in place value, they LOVE being able to apply the patterns to read much larger numbers!

11. Samantha Vargas

Thanks Donna!!! These are awesome!!!

12. Danielle

Great game! Will have to change the expanded form to notation for my 4th graders but this is awesome!

I’m updating it now, Danielle!! Check back later tonight for the newer version. 🙂

13. Debbie Pappas

Thank you for the resource. Should be a great and less boring review.