Fact Practice Your Students Will Love!

math fact practice

Kids are competitive. Heck, adults are competitive. Add a little competition to your fact practice activities and you’re sure to have a hit on your hands. I call this game Move 1, because you move one of the addends (or factors) each time. There’s strategy involved, so you’re also helping students develop critical thinking skills. And there’s no timing or speed component, which can be intimidating for some children.

Pictured below is the addition version (there is a multiplication version also). The goal is to get four spaces in a row horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. In the first picture, Player 1 has circled 7 and 8 as the addends. They can mark any of the spaces marked 15 on the board. In the second picture, Player 2 strategically moved the 8 to a 3 because 3 + 7 = 10, and that allows them to mark a space right next to Player 1.

math fact practice

Keep in mind that our students get the most out of strategy games when we let them discover the strategy themselves. Be careful not to be too helpful!

Click here to grab your freebie. Then just sit back and enjoy watching your kids’ fluency develop!

Looking for more multiplication games? Check out my Multiplication Fact Games | Practice for Building Understanding and Fluency unit.

1. Storie

Thanks for the freebie. I don’t think I have any other games like this. The kids are sure to love it.
    Storie

What a fun way to practice! Thanks for the freebie

The Math Maniac

3. Nancy Golden

Been using a version of the multiplication game for years — The Product Game, originally from Terc Investigations.
    Never seen an addition version though — thanks!

4. Ashley Bolton

Thank you! This will be a great addition to my Friday math centers!

5. Ann Whitten

I have also been using a version of the multiplication game for many years…it was called Carolina Cip-It I think. Instead of circling the factors you used large paper clips and first put on on each factor that you wanted. The other player could only move one of the clips. You could also put both clips on the same number for a doubles fact. Kids LOVE this game and you can send it home for parents to play with their children. Thanks for the addition version!

6. Sheri

Thank you! You offer so much that enhances my math instruction 🙂

7. Beth

Hi, I love all of the resources you provide for teachers. My kids love these Move 1 games, but they’re hung up on one thing. On the multiplication version, there are certain multiples that are not present; namely 9 and 27. I’ve tried to enter them in a discussion about using strategy for the game and maybe certain multiples aren’t on the board to keep you on your toes, but they aren’t satisfied with this explanation. Can you add your two cents as the creator? 🙂 Thank you!

Beth, I love your explanation for the kids, but it’s really just an oversight on my part. I’ve had this comment before and keep meaning to go back and fix it! Maybe soon…

• Beth

No need! You are busy enough! Quite frankly, I have no idea how you do everything you do! Thanks again!

8. Bethany

This is great! Thanks for the freebie, I’ll be sharing it with my readers as well! 🙂

9. Julie

I love this game, and so do several families at our school. I made this game on your first go around, For some reason, I call it Only 1. It’s been printed on cardstock, laminated, and passed out to endless families at math and literacy nights. I even play game with the interested family, and we draw a crowd! The school even tosses in dice and markers. It’s a home run!

• Julie

I don’t know why I said dice…that was a different game! Probably a freebie of yours, too! Anyway, this is my favorite. My firsties love to show the “big kids” how to play on math and literacy night!