Developing Computational Fluency, K-2
Proven strategies for helping students develop computational fluency based on flexibility with numbers and number sense
This course is a step-by-step program designed to teach you a new way of thinking about and doing math. Watch your students’ understanding and engagement soar as you implement these new strategies. In no time, both you and your students will love math!
I’ve been there, done that!
Your struggles are real! I know, because I had them, too. You have students who don’t understand numbers, can’t reason mathematically, and lack computational skills. You know there has to be a better way, but you’re tired of patching together your own professional learning from books and blog posts.
How would you like to have a comprehensive, step-by-step process for helping your students develop that elusive thing we call computational fluency? Read on, because I think you’re in the right place!
You are a K-2 teacher frustrated by your students’ lack of number sense. You know there has to be a better way to teach and reach your students.
You are an instructional coach looking for strategies you can share with your teachers to bring about systemic change on your campus.
You are an interventionist trying to understand and fill the gaps in your students’ math learning.
By the end of this course, you will…
- Have a blueprint for creating a supportive and safe mathematical culture in your classroom.
- Understand the vertical progression for developing computational fluency from Kindergarten through 2nd Grade.
- Know how to assess students' ability to compose and decompose the numbers to ten and easily differentiate practice activities.
- Have the tools to switch from rote memorization of basic facts to teaching with a strategy-based approach.
- Be ready to lead math talks in your classroom as your students share flexible strategies for multi-digit addition and subtraction.
- Have TONS of ready-to-go activities to use in your classroom.
- Quite frankly, have a new enthusiasm and joy for teaching math!
SETTING THE STAGE: CULTIVATING A THRIVING MATHEMATICAL CULTURE
- Who Are You as a Math Teacher? *NEW*
- Why is Mathematics Instruction Changing?
- Managing Your Classroom for Maximum Learning *NEW*
- The Mindset of a Mathematician
- Embracing Strength-Based Teaching
- The Role of Productive Struggle
- Fostering Mathematical Communication
- FREE PREVIEW LESSON | CRA: Building Blocks to Understanding
- CRA Two Truths and a Lie Quiz
COMPOSING AND DECOMPOSING NUMBERS
- Number Combinations: Composing and Decomposing the Numbers Through 10
- Differentiation: How to Assess to Find Each Child’s Number
- Fluency Through Practice: Engaging Tasks for Practice Throughout the Year
- Ten is Special!
- Bonus: Which One Doesn’t Belong? and Splat
BEFORE THE STANDARD ALGORITHM, ADDITION & SUBTRACTION
- Developmental Steps Toward Procedural Fluency
- Invented Strategies for Addition and Subtraction
- Building Understanding for the Standard Algorithm
- Bonus: Three Act Tasks and Would You Rather?
This is truly a comprehensive course with all the supports you need to be successful!
- Four modules with over 20 lessons
- Over six hours of pre-recorded video
- 100+ page, full-color downloadable Change Journal for taking notes, reflecting on your learning, and practicing new skills
- Downloadable PDFs and activities with nearly every lesson—more than 50 total!
- A course completion certificate for 12 hours of professional learning
new change journal!
100+-page downloadable journal for taking notes, reflecting on your learning, and practicing new skills.
- WFour instructional modules with lifetime access to all content
- WDownloadable resources in almost every lesson to transfer new learning to the classrom
- WLinks to helpful resources in each lessons
- WSix full-length BONUS resources
- WCourse certificate for 12 hours of professional development
need both K-2 and 3-5 Content?
K-2 & 3-5 bundle
what are others saying?
Donna takes the best practices and helps educators understand them and the WHY behind them. To make it even more valuable she puts the perfect tools in your hands to go immediately and apply the very best practices into your classroom. She is always encouraging, supportive and has answered all my questions!
LCISD absolutely loves Donna Boucher! For about 2 years, we have had the great privilege of having Donna present in our district for our K-5 math teachers on various topics, such as Numeracy and Guided Math. Donna is a math mastermind! Her training sessions combine the perfect amount of instruction and engagement. Teachers walk away from Donna’s sessions excited and motivated. Her sessions have been invaluable for our teachers. It’s exciting to see the content from Donna’s sessions come to life in our district!
I have been attending Donna’s workshops for a while now, and I always look forward to her sessions. Her wealth of knowledge and delivery of content is interesting and so valuable to the classroom teacher. Donna’s expertise in math is valued and respected.
Backed by a Risk-Free 14-Day Guarantee
I KNOW this will be the right course for you! But, just in case you feel that it’s not, I offer a no-questions-asked refund policy.
Within the first 14 days, you will have access to Module 1. If you don’t feel that the course is a good fit for you, I’ll happily refund your investment.
you’ve got questions, I’ve got answers!
Do you accept purchase orders for the course registration?
Yes! Email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you all set up.
Do you offer group discounts for multiple registrants from the same school or district?
Yes! Email me at email@example.com for more information.
What if I need both K-2 and 3-5 content?
I offer a bundle including both the K-2 and 3-5 course at a discount off registering for both separately. Click here for more information.
Is this course appropriate for parents who want to help their children at home?
Absolutely! Math instructional practices have changed dramatically since many parents were in school. This course will help you understand current practices better, which, in turn, will help you support your child.
Will I have immediate access to all the course materials?
No. The first module will be released on August 11. Subsequent modules will be released on September 8, September 29, and October 13.
Do I have to complete the modules within a given period of time? What if I can't or fall behind?
No problem at all! You have lifetime access to your content, so you can complete the modules at your own pace.
Will I receive a certificate of completion?
Yes! When you finish the course, you will receive a certificate showing that you completed 12 hours of online learning.
let’s get started!
I’m so excited to work with you!
The instructional strategies I teach in this course transformed my classroom! I saw students who were excited for math time and blossomed as mathematicians. As an instructional coach, I watched teachers go from feeling scared and defeated about teaching math to feeling confident and successful. Let’s do this!