The standards clearly state that students are expected to develop automaticity with addition and subtraction facts within 20 by the end of 2nd grade. Automaticity is, however, different than pure memorization. A strategy-based approach for teaching facts is based on the relationships between addition and subtraction as well as the relationships between facts.
This resource includes information and activities related to the Make a Ten Strategy.
- Teacher notes for teaching the Make a Ten strategy for addition and subtraction
- Teacher notes for extending the strategy to add a 2-digit number and a 1-digit number and two 2-digit numbers
- One Back and Forth game for practicing the Make a Ten strategy for addition
- Two Capture 4 games, one for addition and one for subtraction
- One Scoot activity for extending the strategy to add a 2-digit number and a 1-digit number