Students need multiple strategies for comparing fractions based on reasoning and number sense. They should be able to choose a strategy based on the fractions they are comparing. The strategies include:
- Comparing fractions with the same denominators
- Comparing fractions with the same numerators
- Comparing fractions using a benchmark of one-half
- Comparing fractions that are one unit fraction from a whole
- Comparing fractions by finding a common numerator or denominator
This resource includes information and activities related to the different strategies.
- Four pages of teacher notes explaining each of the strategies
- One Back and Forth game for practicing all of the comparison strategies
- A Capture 4 game for comparing fractions with like denominators
- A deck of cards with visual representations for playing a comparing fractions with like numerators Memory game
- One Scoot activity for comparing fractions using a benchmark of one-half
- A deck of cards with visual representations for playing War to compare fraction one unit from a whole.