Composing and Decomposing Numbers: Cube Trains - Math Coach's Corner

Composing and Decomposing Numbers: Cube Trains

“More learning time in Kindergarten should be devoted to number than to other topics.”

That statement is from the introduction to the Kindergarten Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. In other words, all standards are not created equal.  I planned with my Kindergarten teachers this week, and our district scope and sequence begins the year with a unit called Numeracy to 5.  There are two distinct types of skills related to numeracy–those related to counting and cardinality (CCSM K.CC) and those related to operations and algebraic thinking (CCSM K.OA).

Counting and cardinality refers to knowing and writing number names and the counting sequence.  It’s also understanding one-to-one correspondence.  In other words, knowing the 5 represents 5 objects.  Finally, comparing numbers is included in counting and cardinality.

Operations and algebraic thinking, on the other hand, requires that students understand that numbers are made up of smaller numbers–that smaller numbers can be composed to make larger numbers and larger numbers can be decomposed into smaller numbers. For example, the number 5 can be made with 0 and 5, 1 and 4, or 2 and 3. This aspect of number is the foundation for understanding basic addition and subtraction facts, which are required to perform multi-digit computations.

The entire Kindergarten year should be filled with activities and routines devoted to developing fluency with combinations for the numbers to ten, regardless if that is the current “unit”.  Dot cards, number bracelets, and rekenreks are all excellent daily activities.

Activities that develop an understanding of number combinations are the same regardless of the target number.  You can use the same activity to learn combinations for 5 as you can for 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.  For that reason, you want to build your arsenal of composing/decomposing activities or the kids will quickly tire of them.  A terrific resource for quick and easy activities for composing and decomposing numbers is Building Number Sense, by Catherine Jones Kuhns.  The book is literally nothing but activities for learning combinations for the numbers to ten.  It’s a bonus that they all require very little prep or materials.

One of the activities in the book is Cube Trains.  Students use linking cubes to make trains showing all the combinations for the target number.  I thought it would be helpful to create some little mats for the kiddos to use.  As you can see from the picture, I used two-color counters instead of linking cubes. Linking cubes fit in the spaces as well. I made mats for the number from 3 to 7 and recording sheets for 3 and 4.  I thought after using the recording sheets for 3 and 4, they could create the table in their math journals.  Of course you can also do Cube Trains for 8, 9, and 10, but the mats wouldn’t fit on an 8 1/2 by 11 page.  Ha ha.  By that point, the kiddos should be able to do the activity without the mat.  You can grab your freebie by clicking here.

1. Cathy Lukesh

I printed the cube train pages. However, I’m not sure what the children write on the 3 and 4 page across from where they color in the cubes. You have a horizontal and vertical line there. Please let me know. I looked for a picture of what you did but didn’t find any:)

They write the combinations. There’s a picture in the blog post!

• Cathy Lukesh

Thanks so much!!!

2. Terri Brown

I subscribe to your blog but found this oldy-but-goody on Pinterest. Thanks for the freebie–love your stuff!

3. Kissa Clark

I am so glad that I stumbled across your blog! Thank you for sharing your ideas. We are beginning this skill and your activities will help me tremendously!

4. sol5

I use a similar activity with wine corks painted with blue and red on each half and lined in an eggs box… but the vertical disposition seems better than the horizontal one I use… Thank you for helping me to improve my activities…
    I enjoyed the explanation you wrote to introduce the train activity… It looks like that of two french math teaching theoricians…

5. Amy B

WOW-never heard of these~ LOVE the idea!!! And, another math book I’ll be getting 🙂
    Thanks so much as always!
    Amy Burton

Nice to know I can still introduce you to new stuff, Amy!! 🙂

Another great product! I have been using your number bracelets with great success this past week.

The Math Maniac

Thanks, Tara!! I love hearing that the number bracelets are working so well. 🙂

7. Lisa V

Just tried the link to do this for Today’s math lesson, and the link is bad. Can you reload it and see if it is me, or if it is a server problem? Thanks! It is Monday at 8am in Ohio.

I’m really sorry, Lisa! I think everything is working okay on my end. Are you trying to access it from school computer? Maybe it’s being blocked. Email me at [email protected]!

• Lisa

No, I just tried again and it said the pdf was not available.

Were you able to get it, Lisa? Sorry I didn’t respond this morning, but I had already left for school when you posted this.

8. Kim McCoy-Parker

Cathy I have followed your blog for the last 5 months and want to thank you for the wealth of information I gain from your blog on a weekly basis. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks for the sweet comment, Kim! It’s something I enjoy, so I’m glad it’s helpful to others. 🙂

9. Miss VerSteeg

Love this activity! It will be perfect for my 2nd graders to do during their ‘teaching’ time with their kindergarten buddies. Thanks for the idea and freebie, Donna! 🙂

Cathy
    c[email protected]

Got my book today, Cathy! I’ve only glanced through it, but I like the way it organized and how easy the activities seem to be! Thanks for the hot tip. 🙂

• Miss VerSteeg

Oh, yay! I hope you find it useful! It’s an honor to finally be able to share something with YOU, rather than just taking all your ideas to my classroom! LOL 😉

Cathy

Oh, that does sound perfect, Cathy! BTW, I ordered that other Catherine Jones Kuhns book you recommended. Should get it later this week!

10. Sandi MacDougall

Thanks, Donna. Another book to investigate.

It’s an excellent one for K-1 teachers, Sandi!

11. Mrs. Clancy

Great post! This book looks great…thanks for sharing! Melissa

It’s a very usable book! It should be dog-eared and worn. 🙂

12. Tammy

And if kids don’t come into first with this information, it’s appropriate for first grade to take it on?
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

Absolutely, Tammy!!

Thanks for sharing. This is perfect for my class!

So glad! Thanks for leaving a comment. 🙂

14. lorena

This is great! Thank you SO much for sharing, Donna! 🙂

Glad it’s useful, Lorena! 🙂

15. Karen

Thanks so much! These will make a great center for my kinders.

You’re welcome, Karen! 🙂

Easy and effective! The best kind of activity, right Tanya? 🙂

Great blog. I enjoy reading your blogs and I share your knowledge with my staff. Thank you for sharing!

My pleasure! Thanks for sharing. 🙂