Ordering Numbers on a Number Line

ordering numbers on a number line

Workstation activities don’t need to be complicated. They just need to allow students to practice their standards! Take for example this little workstation activity for ordering numbers on a number line up to 120. Print the number line mat on cardstock and laminate for durability. You can download free number cards and the mat at the end of this post. There’s also a little recording sheet to build in accountability for the task. Students record five rounds of the game, but then they can continue to practice.

ordering numbers on a number line

Notice that students can use this activity over and over again because they will continue to get different numbers. That’s one advantage of workstation tasks over worksheets. Worksheets are typically one-and-done while workstation tasks that use randomized numbers can be used more than once. It’s also easy to differentiate and it grows with the kiddos as they work with larger numbers. Just change up the number cards or assign a different range of numbers for different students.

Download your number cards, Ordering Numbers on a Number Line mat, and recording sheet. If you’d like the cute cards shown in the picture, you can grab them here.

1. T Bell

Love this! Up to 1000 and 10 000 would be brilliant too! You so rock. Thanks for this!

My pleasure!

2. Chelsea O'Neal

This so great!! And simple!!

That’s my favorite kind of workstation, Chelsea! 🙂

Do kids have to think about where they are placing the numbers in relation to the 0 and 120 on the number line?

No, they just fit between the 0 and 120. You could use smaller numbers and then they could place them more proportionately.

4. Jan

Thanks for sharing another great resource. You always have wonderful ideas…don’t you want to come work at my school? 😉

I’m keeping pretty busy at my school, Jan! Ha ha. 🙂

5. Carpenter Family Chronicle

I love love this!! Thank you!! I so appreciate it for my firsties!

Yea! Always nice hearing that something I post is useful. 🙂

6. Karla

Thank you Donna! This workstation has been a big hit with my little Mavericks. =)

How exciting to hear from one of my own teachers! Thanks, Karla. BTW, your wedding picture is GORGEOUS!!

7. Barbara

I like simple. Thank you!
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs
    I’m having an easy giveaway at Grade ONEderful. Hope you stop by:)

You’re welcome, Barbara!

8. Mrs. Beard

Thanks for sharing your wonderful resources!

Thank you so much for sharing!

10. Cheryl

Thank you for sharing this! It works in perfectly with our number line activities this week! Love it!

Awesome, Cheryl! Glad it worked so well with your timing. 🙂

11. Joan Buckley

Donna, I just want to thank you for continuing to offer us such wonderful ongoing professional development. For me, this is the only place where I can receive ongoing formation in mathematics – and I greatly appreciate your posts, materials, and freebies. I cannot tell you how many of your book recommendations are currently on my Amazon wishlist (5), but two are in the mail to me this week! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Someday, I hope that I, too, may give back to our profession just as you do now. God bless, Joan B.

12. Becky

My resource kiddos will love this

13. Sharon

Thanks for the number lines. It will help so much when teaching. I agree with the other comment about going up to 1000 & 10,000

14. Lori

I have been following you lately and wanted to share how much I appreciate all the sharing and information.

15. Dectria Jones

Thank you for this product. It is wonderful!

16. Kelly

I’m excited to try this with my students. Thanks!

17. Karen Winford

Not necessarily about this post, but am wanting to use Math Workshop format in my 3rd/4th grade classroom next year. Do you have blog posts, TPT resources, curriculum, anything else you’d recommend to help me get it going?

Thank you for all your blogs that I have read, and the activities you share. They have been really helpful.

So happy to hear that you are interested in Math Workshop! Last year I partnered with Laney Sammons, who wrote Guided Math, to publish a book on organizing, managing, and planning for Math Workshop. I hope you’ll check it out! http://bit.ly/GMWorkshopTCM

18. Karen Winford

Thanks. I checked out the sample pages, and this looks like a really helpful book! I’ll check out her Guided Math book, as well.

19. Paula Nevil

I am coaching math teachers, K-5, this year and need to deepen my knowledge with the standards for math and strategies for mastery. I will be using much of your ideas and materials.
    Thank you!

20. Kathleen Kramer

Love this activity. Looking forward to using it this week in my classroom. Thank you.