Number Sense Workout - Math Coach's Corner

Number Sense Workout

I absolutely love workstation activities that are easy to prep, easy for the kiddos to understand and do, are easily differentiated, and grow with the students as their skills develop.  I’m pretty sure that’s what I’ve got for you tonight!  This activity grew out of a planning meeting with my 1st grade team.  They wanted a workstation activity the students could use to practice a variety of number sense skills.  Throughout the year, their kids learn to work with bigger and bigger numbers until they are working with numbers up to 120.

Here’s the little recording sheet I made for them.  It prints two to a page, so it’s a great size for kiddos to glue in their math journal.  Throw the recording sheets in a workstation with a set of number cards to 120, and you’re ready to go!  It’s so easy to differentiate, because you control what numbers the kiddos work with.

Number Sense Workout 1
Since we ALL want to get in shape for the new year, I thought the workout theme was appropriate!  Grab your freebie here.

1. BJH

Hi! What do you mean by the section that says 4 different combinations for your number?

So, for example, if the number is 20, that number can be composed as 10 10, 19 1, 15 5, 2 18, or many others. Hope that clears it up!

2. Lisa

Thanks for this! You have such marvelous ideas and beautiful products.

3. Judy

Thank you so much for sharing this great freebie. It’s exactly what I needed for a daily practice – so easy to differentiate! Much appreciated!

My pleasure, Judy!! Glad you find it useful. 🙂

4. Colleen

Love, love, love! After 5 years of being a Math Content Coach… I am excited to return to first grade as a classroom teacher! I will definitely use this in a math center!!! Thank you for all of the amazing posts, great freebies, and inspiring words of wisdom.

Congratulations on your move, Colleen! I know I’m going to love being back working more closely with kiddos, and I imagine you will, too.

5. Mrs. Yazzie's Classroom News

I always love when I read a post about a math activity, and you introduce it by saying, “This activity grew out of a planning meeting with my (grade) team.” I know it’s gonna be a good one–practical, thorough, useful! Thanks for sharing.

6. Deb

Hi Donna! I introduced this activity to my math small group last week. They need some more work before I move it into a center, but they really like it. A couple kids have asked to do a page for homework. Thanks!

Deb
    Not very fancy

7. Jan

Thanks for sharing this great activity. I know my Firsties will love it!

My pleasure, Jan!

Love the workout theme!

The Math Maniac

Thanks, Tara! Maybe I was thinking of my New Year’s resolution. Ha ha.

9. First Grade Teacher from WI.

Thanks so much for the great ideas on this sheet. I know my first graders will love it! It is such a great way to get some movement into learning!!

I’m glad you think it will engage your students!! Happy New Year! 🙂

I used it in math centers today and would just suggest using numbers 1-99. Numbers over 100 are hard to record using the 10s and 1s are. My students got a little confused as to where they should record the 100.

Thanks so much for that very helpful feedback! I can see where that would be confusing. Because we really want kiddos to work with numbers to 120, I changed the recording sheet slightly to accommodate hundreds. You might want to download the updated version!

Perfect! Can’t wait to put it in next week’s math centers! Thank you!!

So glad it’s something you can use! 🙂